when the evening shadows and the stars appear

3.24.2010

With her 2009 Grammy wins for Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal and her ubiquitous song "Chasing Pavements" of course I had heard of Adele. But it wasn't until today, thanks to my friend EA who posted an Adele video on her blog (click there for amazing, insightful and entertaining stuff...trust me, she posts the greatest photos, videos and comments on anything and everything) that I felt compelled to download Adele's debut album "19." Very rarely am I impressed with an artist's entire album. Sure, there are the hit singles that I'll typically love and the obscure tracks I'll appreciate because they're not on the radio every two seconds, but it's usually a feeling of general satisfaction, nothing overwhelmingly remarkable. Let me tell you, that with Adele's album I am completely blown away by every track. The whole record, top to bottom, start to finish, is incredible (not to mention her voice is to die for.)

And that isn't even the best part...as I was cooking dinner I was listening to it in its entirety for the first time (keep in mind that I normally buy albums without reading all the song titles...it's not lazy, it's wanting to be surprised) and I almost burned my hand in hot oil when I heard her cover Garth Brooks's "To Make You Feel My Love" (which I know is a cover of a cover of a cover...the original was written and recorded by Bob Dylan and later sung by the likes of Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Billy Joel, Neil Diamond, Joan Osborne, Josh Kelley, Kelly Clarkson, Kris Allen, and so on and so on...BUT the Garth version is my favorite, probably because of its appearance in "Hope Floats") Anyway, enjoy the video below of Adele singing one of my all-time favorite songs. At the rate I'm going (I've listened to it 8 times already this evening) she might just beat out Garth as the version I love the most.

0 comments:

Post a Comment