the love child of fantastic writing and great cooking

3.11.2010



Something is happening, and I'm not exactly sure what brought it on...I bought not one, but TWO cookbooks this week and have actually been putting them to use, rather than letting them collect dust between the pasta and cans of soup. Could it be something in this strange New Orleans water, the realization of now that I am mid-twenties I should learn my way around mixing bowls and citrus zesters, or possibly that my future husband might want something beyond the realm of "I bought this and heated it up"? Whatever it is, I am welcoming it enthusiastically with the aid of my new culinary roadmaps.

I have become unequivocally obsessed with Sophie Dahl's "Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights" and, in turn a little obsessed with Miss Dahl herself. A quick rundown: former plus-sized model turned author, granddaughter of writer Roald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox, Matilda...need I go on?), married to musician Jamie Cullum (swoon), AND she's written incredibly simple and delicious recipes that are still healthy. They are organized according to season and type of meal (breakfast, lunch, supper) which means that you're guaranteed to be using seasonal ingredients at their peak and therefore, better tasting food!

The thing I love most about this book, aside from its charming pink and blue cover and incredible photographs, is the inclusion of GREAT writing. Each season is preceded by a few pages of anecdotes from Dahl's life that undoubtedly transport you to moments of your own, whether it's the time your Granny taught you to roll cookie dough or the first time you flipped an omelet without eggs falling into the burner. When describing her favorite season, Dahl writes: "Autumn is a season I love more than any other; for its smoky sense of purpose and half-lit mornings, its bonfires, baked potatoes, nostalgia, chestnuts and Catherine wheels." If that doesn't make you want to get up on a chilly October morning and make a big stack of Indian sweet potato pancakes (actual recipe!) then I don't know what will.

I'm going to try and work my way through this book and, with a little faith and a LOT of practice, maybe I can elicit this kind of response:



P.S....I'm working on making these posts shorter. I'm just a new and very excited blogger!

0 comments:

Post a Comment