wisdom in hindsight

6.29.2010


 I recently came across this quote, one of my all-time favorites, that acted as a sort of mantra for me during my college years. I had this little passage written on a Post-It note and stuck to my big old Apple desktop (lovingly referred to as "The Dinosaur Egg") to serve as a constant reminder of the importance of strength, self-awareness, and finding purpose in life. Now, I know you're probably thinking that this is quite an impressive run down of after-effects, especially for a one-sentence quote (from a movie, no less), but for me, it holds a lot of truth.

When I think back about times in my life that I've been particularly upset or confused, many of those instances stemmed from the feeling that I had somehow lost myself in a situation, or felt forced into a direction I didn't necessarily want to go (you know...those pesky "you should do this because..." situations, typically imposed on you by other people). In contrast, when I remember times that I have been the happiest and felt the most content, they have always been when I have had a clear vision of what I wanted and needed to do, as well as when I have been grounded in an understanding of my capabilities, character, and convictions. I think I love this quote so much because it reminds me of something my dad would always say to us: "Follow the Peace." That is, instead of following the shoulds in life-- which usually lead to heartache, disillusionment, resentment, and disappointment--run fervently towards what you know will bring peace to your life, spirit, and heart--the things you need and want. When you come to a place where you know you need to be, and when you fully understand who you are meant to be, other things fall away and the little things that pester or upset you suddenly seem very trivial.

0 comments:

Post a Comment